Thursday, July 18, 2019

Adaptation - Learning to Let Go

This summer has been an exercise in adaptation but likely not how you think. In summers past, I have worked 70-80 hours a week as the general manager of Summerland Family Fun Park. Last year on top of managing the park, I also worked as a summer school teacher. Typically, I max out my summer by working every waking moment and making as much money as possible. This summer I have set a limit so I only work 40 hours a week. This leaves me with several days off per week in order for me to do homework and (*gasp*) have some free time. I have built this machine that is Summerland, I have trained all these employees and it is so fun to watch it all work! But this summer I am really putting my trust into what I have already done and letting them do their thing without me. So this summer is basically a trust exercise for me and letting go of some of my responsibilities. My employees are really stepping up in my absence and adapting to their new leadership roles. Overall, it is really hard for me to relinquish total control... but it has been such a positive change!

4 comments:

  1. Nikki - you have such an important job in the summer and I'm proud of you for delegating! Do you think that after this summer you will want to go back to 70-80 hour weeks next summer? It sounds like you are establishing leadership roles in your employees that maybe you could have some more freedom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Training yourself not to micromanage is HUGE! But if you think of how it challenges others to step up to the task, you're making them a better person because of it too! These are all good things Nikki!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just like Ellen and Brittany said, I'm proud of you for trying something new and delegating! It's not an easy thing to do; I'm still struggling with it myself. I'm also so impressed that you are still working 40 hours a week and doing this program. You're awesome!!

    ReplyDelete