Friday, August 23, 2019

My motto - FTK

My motto in teaching is FTK (for the kids). I first heard Erin Thompson use this phrase in a meeting when she was trying to convince our very stubborn 7th grade staff to plan something special for the last day of school instead of going on our usual field trip to como zoo. She said "come on you guys I know the last day olympics would be more work... but it's for the kids". Since then, it is really something that has stuck for many of the young teachers in the building. The reason I use it so frequently is because kids are at the center of why I teach. I didn't become a middle school english teacher because I am super passionate about reading and writing. I am super passionate about kids! And giving them the skills to read and write well in our literate world.

We use this phrase as a way to call each other out when we are getting burned out or thinking about making decisions. Everything we do should be FTK and if it's not... whats the point?

2 comments:

  1. Great motto!! I plan to use it in my teaching, too. I know my team will appreciate it and begin to use the phrase themselves. I think the end of the year olympics would be a lot more fun than a long bus trip to Como Zoo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your shout out to Erin and I can just see her saying it too! I appreciate that you use this lens and remember why you do what you do!

    ReplyDelete